Reducing costs and delivering better access to health services
The Canberra Liberals will deliver:
- More gap-free and after-hours GP consultations, saving the average family $200 per year
- a 18-month trial of the GP Urgent Care Network, universal short-notice GP directory
- better GP integration and continuity of care
- incentives for longer opening hours for community pharmacies
- expanded access to the free flu vaccine program for vulnerable Canberrans
- a new southside hydrotherapy pool for sufferers of arthritis, chronic pain and injury (read more here)
- Osteoarthritis hip and knee program to provide ‘prehabilitation’ for those on elective surgery waiting lists (read more here)
Peter and Rachael have 3 kids under 16. Usually they go to their local GP who has a $60.25 gap for a 15 minute appointment. Assuming that all members of the household visit the doctor at least once a year, by increasing the availability of gap-free GPs, they will save $301.25 per year.
We will also:
- sign the Federal Government’s Public Hospital Pharmaceutical Reform Agreement to deliver PBS-supported medicines for hospital patients upon discharge
- deliver a new dedicated nurse and more specialist appointments at enhanced cystic fibrosis clinics (read more here)
- provide better connected healthcare to help prevent and reduce the impact of strokes (read more here)
- provide more support for people with asthma to better maintain their self-management plans (read more here)
- deliver a new dedicated social worker for families impacted by Huntington’s Disease (read more here)
- provide increased support services for people with Muscular Dystrophy (read more here)
Halving wait times and future-proofing the health system
The Canberra Liberals will:
- halve elective surgery and emergency department waiting times within our first term of government
- complete a record 70,000 elective surgeries over the next four years
- invest in 30,000 more specialist outpatient appointments, making it easier for Canberrans to have access to specialist services they need
- deliver 400 more healthcare workers, including 200 extra nurses
- invest in additional emergency department staff, capacity and training for improved patient flow
- double the new surgery capacity of the surgical and emergency centre with an additional eight hybrid operating theatres
- improve access to the surgical and emergency centre so emergency vehicles access it via Yamba Drive, rather than Palmer Street
You can read our full plan here.
Better mental healthcare and support for patients and staff
A Canberra Liberals Government will:
- Deliver 20 additional acute mental health beds and 55 new mental health staff for Canberra’s north
- Build a dedicated residential care home for mothers with postnatal depression
- Fast-track a new residential rehabilitation centre for people with eating disorders
- Scope the capacity to expand the Adult Mental Health Unit as part of the Canberra Hospital Master Planning process
- Introduce new laws to protect frontline health staff who sustain mental injuries on the job
- Implement a Wellness program for all Year 3 students in ACT Government primary schools
- Provide teachers with mental health first aid training.
- Allow schools to voluntarily access additional support through the Commonwealth Government’s School Chaplaincy Program and explore opportunities for improved connections between schools and community organisations.
- Introduce independent psychiatric assessments for inmates.
You can read our full plan here.